Friday, October 7, 2011

A Coconut Curry Soup to Cure Your Ills

I've been holding on to this recipe until 1) I had time to write it, and 2) it felt like soup weather. There is snow covering the mountains yonder. It is time.

Besides being delicious, this warm, creamy curried concoction is an anti-sickness soup. It quite literally gave me superpowers of illness resistance. Last month, my boyfriend was stricken with a nasty case of strep throat. My typically strong go-getter of a guy was reduced to slumping on my couch and writing me messages on a whiteboard as he could hardly speak. After he dropped over five pounds in two days, I decided we needed a nutrient-packed, carb-packed, protein-packed soup that would be soothing to his throat and give both of our immune systems a bit of a turbo charge. And I, my friends, never did succumb to that virulent bout of sickness. And he didn't fade away into nothingness. Success!

We all know that nothing feels more healing than Mom's Chicken Noodle Soup... at least, nothing until I brewed this soup. It's warm, slightly creamy, and full of filling things with just enough spice and coconut flavor to keep it interesting (I used a fairly mild curry powder). I know I've lauded the awesomeness of sweet potatoes before, but those babies are packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and all sorts of goodness.

So if you're feeling under the weather or feeling the need to celebrate the chill in the air, this should be on your menu this weekend.

Coconut Curry Soup with Sweet Potatoes & Chicken
Serves 8 to 10, but also stores well and can be frozen.
For a spicier soup, up the amount of curry to 5 tblsp. and add 1 1/2 tsp. of red pepper flakes and 1 tsp. of cayenne pepper.


2 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
3 tblsp. curry powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. nutmeg
salt & pepper to taste
3 tblsp. olive oil
1 potato, peeled & diced
2 sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
2 cans chicken broth
1 can full of water
1 can coconut milk
3 tblsp. cornstarch
diced green onions for garnish
brown rice (optional)

1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium high. Add onion, garlic, curry, paprika, nutmeg, and other peppers (if using). Heat until onions become slightly transparent, then add chicken. Saute for 5 to 7 minutes, until nearly fully cooked. (Begin cooking rice if you'd like to serve the soup over rice.)

2. Add both cans of chicken broth and half a can full of water. Bring to a gentle simmer and add both types of potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes. If you'd like your broth to be thicker, mix 3 tblsp. cornstarch with remaining water, and gently stir in. Simmer on high for an additional 5 minutes.

3. Turn off heat and slowly stir in coconut milk (and go for the good stuff, not the light version). Serve over rice if you like, topped with sliced green onions. Enjoy! 

1 comment:

Jaynan said...

what a lucky guy! I wish someone made soup for me when I got sick.... and yours sounds so delicious (minus the coconut--not a huge fan, but I'd still be willing to give it a try!).