Thursday, October 30, 2008

Behold

It's kind of an interesting word, don't you think? Behold- the way they say "look" in the scriptures. The dictionary definition goes like so:

behold |biˈhōld|
verb ( past and past part. -held |-ˈheld|) [ trans. ] [often in imperative ] archaic or poetic/literary
see or observe (a thing or person, esp. a remarkable or impressive one)

Nothing too remarkable about that. But here's where it gets cool:

ORIGIN Old English bihaldan, from bi- [thoroughly] + haldan [to hold.]

Now that's something to think about. It is if you're a word nerd like me, anyway. A lot of times we use "behold" as a very passive verb (I could get technical here, but I'll spare you the transitive/intransitive blah blah blah), but I don't think it is.

Behold.

Look.

But more than just that, really see something, look beyond the paint, see past the brushstrokes, and grasp on to the meaning of the painting. Emotion is what reaches off the wall and grabs your attention. Feel what the subject is feeling. One of the most popular scenes in religious art is the Annunciation. Usually I'm not much of a fan of these scenes, with their pious blue-clad Mary, lilies in a vase, and bowing angels with gaudy wings.
I imagine it a little differently. In my mind, the scene looks a little more like this:I imagine a timid Mary, startled by the presence of a heavenly messenger. I imagine she felt stunned as Gabriel told her that she had been chose to carry the Child who would someday save us all. I think she must have been a little afraid to take such a responsibility on her young shoulders. But Mary accepted this amazing calling. I say accepted because I believe she did have a choice. She could have turned away, she could have given in to her fears, she could have said NO.

She didn't. The master painters always portray Mary with that same gentle smile. She glows with patience, love, and most of all, an inner strength. She held Christ in her arms. He, the Savior of the World, was dependent on her for His every need. She accepted that incredible responsibility with a grace that I can only begin to imagine.

Behold.

Look a little closer. Think a little deeper. Put yourself there, breathe the air, see the sky, be a part of it. Behold the pure white glow of the lilies. Behold the tenderness of Mary. Behold the hesitance of Gabriel.


Behold how much He loves you. Behold how much He wants you to come unto Him.

3 comments:

Andrew Jensen said...

I really liked your comments on beholding. Check out the post I made along the same lines. It is http://spanishfilipino.blogspot.com/ It is so true how we can gain greater insights on "beholding" our Gospel knowledge on paper and in sculpture.

Goojah Mama said...

I learn more and more from you everyday! I love reading your thoughts and feelings on your blog. You are learning so much of life, love and friendship and I stand in wonder as I watch the impact for good you have on those lucky enough to be around you.
Our roles have changed and you are now teaching me!
Much love!

Goojah Mama said...

actually Kelsey's daddy sez...
Behold, you are MY GIRL!!!!!! and i stand so amazed that someone as lovely as you could have had a beginning in me!

Behold, you are AMAZING!!!! and how could i ever express gratitude sufficient enough to my Heavenly Father for allowing me to be your Daddy and you my girl?????

Behold, i love you more than i can say or there are words to write!!!!

Behold, you are beautiful!!!!! outside and inside and in every way!!!!!!

Behold, its you (and your equally amazing, loving, and beautiful MaMa) that give me my will, strength and desire to fight for each moment, hour, day, week, month and years to spend with you!!! to watch you continue to amaze me as you grow into the amazing young women that your Heavenly Father created you to be!!!!

Behold, He shared with me a vision of you as this young women 18 years ago in the Los Angles Temple in one of the amazing experiences of my life!!! You are becoming Her and i am amazed and sooooo grateful to be here to see it!!!!

Behold, this is allot of amazing! but amazing is the word for it! its like behold, easy to over look- but take a minute and look it up in the dictionary, you'll see, YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love you soooooo much, Daddy