Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Through His Name

Tomorrow is my last day in my New Testament class here at Brigham Young University. Whoa. Little bit of time vertigo. Can it really be time for finals already? Life blows by SO fast. Here are a few of my final thoughts as we wrap up this semester.

One of my favorite things that Dr. Holtzapfel highlighted this semester was in the 20th chapter of John, 31st verse, which reads, "But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name."

I suppose I've noticed this verse before, but I've never really taken the time to think about what it means, especially that last line - that believing ye might have life through his name. That really hit me in class Tuesday. These scriptures weren't written JUST so we can believe - that's definitely important, but it's not the main point.

So what's the main point? The main point is in how we live our lives. And we are to live our lives "through his name." This phrase has always interested me, partially because I don't fully understand it. But to me, it means living in a way that Jesus would support, in a way that He would be willing to claim you as His. You take a share in His name, you honor His name, and you show the way you feel about the Gospel through the way you live. Your everyday actions testify of Christ and His Gospel. You don't need to preach at anyone; rather, you live in a way that shows your testimony every day.

That being said, I have some goals. I figure if I post them here on the World Wide Web, I'll feel at least a little accountable and therefore, actually do them.
1-Stop Griping- Sometimes I get on these complaining rants, when really, I have nothing to complain about. I have an awesome life. I'm like, seriously, so blessed. (kidding, kidding...)
2-Oft Speak Kind Words- I can, on occasion, be a bit cruel in the comments I make. I need to stop that.
3-Care More About My Friends - I have really awesome friends & I'm not nearly as good to them as I should be.
4- Be a Better Listener - I don't always really focus on what someone else is saying to me, yet I get really annoyed when people don't pay attention or talk over me. That makes me a bit of a hypocrite, but I shall (try to) change.

Thanks to Dr. Holtzapfel for a great semester!

ALSO - I know the new color scheme & Christmas music is TOTALLY cheesy. But I don't care. I like Christmas & I felt like making a new header to show off my mad photoshop skills. So, feel free to think I'm ridiculous, but know I'm quite enjoying relishing in the Christmas Season & I don't care if you think I'm silly.

3 comments:

Shankar said...

That's rather a coincidence. My New Year's resolution last year was "Don't complain". And I didn't break it till November (via e-mail to a good friend, not verbally), although it may have been fractured a few times. I'm going to have that for my 2009 resolution as well.
That's going to be joined by your fourth point, be a better listener. That hit me when a friend of mine said that she felt like she wasn't being listened to. It took me weeks to realise what she meant...but by that time it was far too late.

PS: Dr. Holzapfel is great. He gave a fireside about Joseph Smith a couple of years ago at Institute when I was living in Birmingham, England.

Goojah Mama said...

I love your thoughts here. I need you near me to have some of your Christmas excitement rub off on me. I love the season, I'm just not into all the shopping part (just so ya know). I like your goals and I will join you in making them mine too.
Hugs!!

Carrie said...

the word verification for this comment is 'fauted.' sounds like farted.

i luh yoo.

and i liked this.