Sunday, April 3, 2011

happiness: noun

a : a state of well-being and contentment : joy
b : a pleasurable or satisfying experience 
It's a simple definition for a simple feeling of bliss and contentment--a feeling that I've become rather accustomed to here. There are so many things that I would add to the definition of happiness. Friends, can I tell you a bit more about what defines happiness in my mind?
Happiness is singing hymns on the Sabbath at the Garden Tomb.
Happiness is hiking through fields laden with wildflowers in Galilee.

Happiness is poking jellyfish while collecting seashells and sea glass along the Mediterranean waterside (despite the look of disgust on my face).
Don't worry--it was dead & I only touched the top anyway; I learned my lesson from Finding Nemo.
Happiness is looking out across this beautiful ocean.


Happiness is discovering that your suitcase's handles double as straps & that you must have been a Sherpa in a previous life. 
This was even more impressive when I was carrying my backpack in front of me & holding the bus doc bag.
Happiness is blue skies smiling down on fields of gold.



Happiness is climbing trees in Chorazin.
Look how color coordinated we are!

Happiness is hiking with the little ones.
Cam has such a way with children.

Happiness is poppies and pillars.



Happiness is castles in a storm & Catholic saints spangled with the light of stained glass windows.


Happiness is playing April Fools jokes on/with your best friends.
Sorry boys, Carrie & I couldn't resist. Neither could the dozen people that called both of you. :)



Happiness is wind blowing through your hair under an ancient Roman arch & not even caring because you're under an ancient Roman arch along the Mediterranean. 


But perhaps the key to the blissful feeling I have on this lovely Sunday morning in Jerusalem: Happiness is staying up until 1 a.m. to watch General Conference, streaming live from Salt Lake City. 


If you're looking for something uplifting to do this weekend, I suggest you tune in for some prophetic messages of hope, faith, and happiness. What could be better than listening to wise words about our Saviors love and the importance of the family?

Not much. 

Except for maybe wandering around here afterwords:


4 comments:

Jaynan said...

i'm pushing the non-existent "like button" for this post.

Kristen said...

these are great pictures!

Christine Marie said...

Oh my heavens. I need to go there. So glad you're having such a lovely time!

martha said...

oh kelsey. all i want to do is go back to jeruselum with you so you can show me around. can we make this happen? :)