Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Heart Of Life Is Good

For those of you who missed the memo, I've been accepting suggestions for the fiftieth song for my blog playlist. I've had a few really good suggestions & quite a few people who said they would ponder & get back to me (& then promptly forgot. ;) ) You're still welcome to offer suggestions for songs (in fact, I'd love it if you did! Blog subject topics are welcome, too!).

However, I recently tripped into a song I'd forgotten about that takes the top spot, no competition.

I hate to see you cry lying there in that position
There's things you need to hear
So turn off your tears and listen
Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No it won't all go the way it should
But i know the heart of life is good

You know it's nothing new
Bad news never had good timing
Then the circle of your friends
Will defend the silver lining

Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No it won't all go the way it should
But i know the heart of life is good

Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
Fear is a friend who's misunderstood
But i know the heart of life is good.
I know it's good.


Those of you who know me will know that I'm all about lyrics - if I don't like the lyrics, I won't like the song, no matter how cool it sounds. That said, I've got to say that the lyrics to "The Heart of Life" have a particularly powerful meaning for me right now. Plus, it's John Mayer & I really like his style - fantastic lyrics.

This song wins the top spot because it has a great message. Sometimes, life comes at us from all sides at once, things get tough, decisions are difficult, relationships get confusing, and it's hard not to get discouraged. Lately, I've struggled a bit with looking on the bright side. But there is always a silver lining. There is always something to be grateful for. There is always some friend who can make you smile. "Love turns the whole thing around."
Link
Sometimes we have to look a bit harder to find the silver linings, but that just makes it all the more satisfying when we actually do find them.

A little bit of trivia - some other great John Mayer songs with amazing lyrics: Gravity, Love Song for No One, 83, St.Patrick's Day, and, one of my very favorites, Comfortable.

3 comments:

Goojah Mama said...

Thanks Honey. You always seem to give me a better perspective on things!!! You are an amazing person!! When I grow up I wanna be just like you!!!

martha said...

ooo this makes me think about the song Silver Lining by Rilo Kiley.
The link to the downloadable version of this song:
http://stereoscope.fm/melody/090307_RiloKiley_SilverLining.mp3


The lyrics:

And I'm not going back into rags or in the hole
and our bruises are coming
but we will never fold

and i was your silver lining
as the story goes
i was your silver lining but now im gold
hooray hooray im your silver lining
hooray hooray but now im gold.

And i was your silver lining
high up on my toes
well you were running through fields of hitchhikers
as the story goes

hooray hooray im your silver lining
hooray hooray but now im gold
hooray hooray im your silver lining
hooray hooray but now im gold

And the grass it was a ticking
and the sun was on the rise
i never felt so wicked
as when i willed our love to die

and i was your silver lining as the story goes
i was your silver lining but now im gold
hooray hooray im your silver lining
hooray hooray but now im gold
hooray hooray im your silver lining
hooray hooray but now im gold
but now im gold
but now im gold
but now im gold



It makes you think of those people who raise you up, doesn't it? :) Enjoy, love

Kels H.M. said...

Oh, my darling Martha - that is one of my favorite songs. I think I wrote a post about it a few months back. :D