Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Proposition 8

I'm usually not one for political bashing and I'll be the first to admit that I haven't been the most adamant follower of the recent election or the debate of Proposition 8 in California.

BUT

I was reading a few news stories this morning and tripped on to a few websites that appalled me. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (aka Mormon Church) has been brutally slandered by the campaign against Prop 8. A commercial has been aired that show two LDS missionaries breaking into the house of a lesbian couple, taking away their rings, and shredding their marriage license. Where do you people come up with this stuff?! NOTHING could be further from the truth. The LDS Church does not support gay marriage, but this is just ridiculous.

These hateful attacks are just that - pure hate. We have shown respect for those we disagree with, and they have returned that respect with lies, false accusations, and slander. Talk about intolerance.

How could there be goodness in a movement fueled by so much hate? I will freely admit, the LDS Church isn't free from problems. It is a massive religious organization run by human beings with human faults. Leaders make mistakes. People do terrible things. But the poor choices of a few Mormons does NOT make the entire Church evil! We have our flaws, but that is what makes us human. I'm sure that I could find criminal cases involving lesbians, but I'm not going to pin that on the entire gay community.

Let's show a little respect for each other. We can disagree without such hate and cruelty. As I learned in LDS Primary as a child, "Kindness Begins with Me."

2 comments:

chloe said...

I saw that commercial too. Yeah its aggravating. I guess the good news is prop 8 passed.

Shankar said...

Yes, thank heavens that it passed. I was actually worried that it may not, and that it would be swept up in the Democratic surge. Thankfully people in California and Florida found that they could vote for Obama and vote to preserve traditional marriage. Good on them!